No matter your age, your skin needs love too.
No matter your skin type, taking care of your skin is another way of taking care of you. Therefore, we are adding focus on our largest organ.
I have struggled with my skin for years; from acne to oily skin to dry skin. I finally found that my main problem was that I did not take care of it! I expected results without putting in the effort.
Finding a skin regimen that fits your skin type is key. Everyone skin is different so what works for you might not work for the next person. The American Academy of Dermatology is a great resource to help find a regimen that works for you! Check out THIS site.
If you have concerns about your skin or any new/changing skin lesions please consult your local primary care provider or dermatologist. Keep an eye on any changes to your skin. I like to see my doctor yearly for an annual skin check!
Quick tips for your skin
- 1. Daily SPF. Protect your skin from added skin damage by adding a daily SPF of at least 30. Stay out of the sun during peak sun hours. Protect your skin with a hat/clothing. PREVENTION, Prevention, prevention. You got this.
- 2. Stop smoking. Smoking is known to cause our skin to age faster. This of all the other health benefits (an dollars saved)! I know it easier said that done but I urge to to try, and try again.
- 3. Decrease alcohol intake. Keep your skin hydrated with added water in throughout your day.
- 4. Eat a well balanced diet. Focus on a nutritious diet so your body can help repair damage.
- 5. Commit to your daily skin care regimen. Make it a part of your norm.
Skin Care Challenge.
Your challenge is to focus on a diligent skin care routine this week. I am certain you will not be disappointed! If you have a routine but are not overly diligent, lets work on that.
Gently cleanse your face with warm water twice a day. Moisturize daily. Do NOT forget SPF. This is built in to a lot of moisturizers. You do not need to splurge on a new face routine. Check out my starter routine below.
I completed this challenge a few months ago. I started with a gentle Cetaphil cleanser and their daily moisturizer (with added SPF). I could feel my skin loved me by the end of the week. I even slept better! Not exactly sure if it was the added routine?
Unfortunately, I am blessed with adult acne so I ended up switching products to a Face Reality regimen. My skin definitely saw improvement with my original routine but I needed some fine tuning for my skin type. I 100% incorporate this into my morning and bedtime routine. When I go to bed without washing my face I am in regret!
I like to:
- Use warm water. Hot water can add irritation.
- Be gentle. Rough scrubbing can irritate skin more. I like to gently massage for a good 20-30 seconds.
- Use non-comedogenic products to prevent clogged pores that can lead to acne.
- Don’t forget the rest of your body! Make sure to moisturize all of your skin and add daily SPF to any skin that may be exposed to the sun. Reapply SPF often! I upgraded from daily SPF 15 to SPF 30. Higher if I am out in the sun.
For my acne prone skin I have also tried a benzoyl peroxide wash. Leave it on your skin for 30 seconds and then wash off. Residue can bleach towels so be cautious!
What are your skin regimen tricks?